Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Welcome



Welcome to my blog.

This blog is supposed to be about photography, my thoughts and observations on it and its history, and whatever else gets thrown into the mix along the way.

But right now the heaviest thing on my mind, which will inevitably influence my work (or lack thereof, as the case may be), is the very real possibility of my wife leaving me. She filed for divorce months ago. I was prone to bouts of depression, and during those times, I wasn’t fun to be around. So she wants to leave. We have a 3 year-old son and a daughter under a year of age. My wife wants to take them both and leave the state, to move back in with her parents.

This is excruciatingly painful for me. My family means the world to me, and my time with our kids has been far too brief. We’ve had our problems, but I never imagined my wife was capable of doing this. And now I’ll have to try to keep the courts from allowing her to take the kids away, and I’ll likely ruin any chance at future reconciliation with my wife in the process. I know that the truth is on my side—it is NOT in those kids’ best interests to remove them from me, nor from their paternal grandparents—but my wife disagrees, doesn’t want to get a job after a divorce, and thinks it would only be possible to raise the kids by moving back in with her parents. And now the hurt feelings will only multiply and grow worse through a relocation court battle. I’ve never felt this much pain in my life.

In future posts, I intend to comment on photographers who have gone through divorce or similar devastating events. And eventually I’ll look at photography outside the shadows of pain.

But right now, I hurt. Badly.



1 comment:

Jege (Jen) said...

Mike, it takes a lot of strength to write about things that weigh so heavily on your soul; but I think writing about things is great therapy.
It may sound trite, but I've met some great people through blogging...people who have gone through the same things as I have, and who have enriched my life with their sense of perspective. Welcome. You are not alone.