Monday, December 3, 2007

We Like Hikes

Awhile back, I wrote about the self-portraiture work I've undertaken recently with a 35mm camera. In addition to pointing the camera at myself, I've also included my shadow in certain pictures, where I think it makes a composition stronger. In this spirit, I've taken many pictures lately of my kids, with my shadow cast somewhere into the frame to indicate my presence. And my children are such an integral part of my life that I feel that when one sees them, one also sees me, to some extent. Several times when we've been out hiking, I've made duplicates of my 35mm pictures with our digital camera for quicker results. Here's one example of using my shadow to indicate my presence when photographing my son:




Troy, quick study that he is, has noticed me turning the camera on myself from time to time. He loves to mimic my actions, and he wanted to use the digital camera himself during this same hike. Here is one resulting picture. I love it.


3 comments:

Jege (Jen) said...

both awesome pictures.

Mike Lopez said...

Thanks...but why are you commenting at 5:34 AM?

Jege (Jen) said...

I am public insomniac #1. :)