Monday, October 15, 2007

Fathers and Sons, II

I think Troy gets his interest in bridges, and in construction, from me. He always asks whether I built a bridge that we might drive across or past. He’s said several times that he wants to be “an engineer AND a daddy…just like Daddy!” He’s also into Thomas the Train toys, stories, etc. As any fan of Thomas will tell you, the goal each day is to be named a “Really Useful Engine” by Sir Topham Hatt. Quite often when Troy does something helpful, or succeeds at something new, I will proclaim him a really useful engine, and he’ll always correct me with “You mean ‘engineer,’ Daddy. I’m a Really Useful Engineer!”

Two weekends ago, he drew a bridge on the chalkboard in his room that he would like me to build at work. I had his drawing converted into a more formal design document, complete with Troy’s own engineering stamp on it. No deviations were made from his design concept. Check it out below. (If it won't enlarge in your browser, the top portion of his seal reads "REALLY USEFUL ENGINEER" and the bottom half has his name. Below the stamp it reads "NEVER EXPIRES.")



3 comments:

Jege (Jen) said...

That is so goddamn cute, I can't stand it!!

Mike Lopez said...

Thanks, Jen. I thought so, too.

Jege (Jen) said...

I can't enlarge the image in my browser; can you email me a copy?